Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Mixed Drinks Inspired by Poldark





Thanks to Chris Barnard and Red Sangre for their photography and art

How does one become Inspired by Poldark? For me it all started as I watched the series.  I could not wait until the next episode so I raced through them on Youtube.  All except the final episode which somehow was kept secret so the ending would not be given away.  I suppose that was a good plan as the ending was a great cliff hanger (literally on the cliff!).

From there I purchased all twelve books. The first six came from Amazon and the last six from ebay UK because Amazon could not deliver them in a timely manner.  Then I joined just about all the Facebook groups dedicated to Poldark and Aidan Turner. Just like Mark Daniel, I am besotted! Unlike Aidan's fib, I have read all twelve books two times (and a couple more than that).

Now I have two literary obsessions - Jane Austen and Poldark.  To think all this time I had never heard of Winston Graham or Poldark.

A chance encounter with a beautiful bottle of "Bronte" at an antique shop got me to thinking about Poldark merchandising and from there creating specialty drinks based on characters in the books.  I definitely am an amateur mixologist, but I do have a culinary degree.

I started posting the drinks on Facebook and they were enthusiastically received and someone (Tanya!) suggested I start a blog so the recipes would be more accessible.  So here it is!

As you read the books, it's obvious people drank a lot of alcohol back then.  Brandy, gin, port and  wine are mentioned frequently.

So the first drink I created I named "The Neck Nibbler" in honor of Ross and Demelza and that lovely seduction scene.
 Recipe:
2 jiggers of Godiva Liqueur
1 jigger Bourbon or Irish Whiskey
Pour over ice.

The second drink I called the "The Country Squire" with Dr. Enys in mind as he prescribes lemonade. This is a refreshing drink.

 Recipe:
1 long peel of lemon*
1 jigger of Gin
fill with lemonade, add ice
*muddle into the Gin


The third drink I created while watching my favorite movie at Christmas time, It's a Wonderful Life.  This drink is named for George Warleggan and is called "The Upstart."  Over-the-top, just like George.

Recipe:
1 jigger of brandy
1/2 jigger Grand Marnier
Top off with cold champagne
and a splash of simple syrup
stir with a cinnamon stick

The drink will fizz up considerably
and cinnamon will release into the
drink!  I found this to be delicious.

Drinks for Verity and Prudie have been created but I must retake the pictures.  I used pictures from The Making of Poldark book and I do not have permission to use them.  I'll add those next time.

If you have made it this far, I thank you!  I do not really know what I am doing here, sorry if it shows!  All I have is enthusiasm for all things Poldark.  I am also working on foods and will bring those recipes to your attention and taste buds in the near future.

Until next time,
Bonny Wise, I am
Inspired by Poldark

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/947340/?claim=xtg2kq6n7aq">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>









7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog. I'm not much of a drinker, but the Upstart sounds intriguing as does the Nibbler

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very nice, Bonny! Give us more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting this project off the ground! I'm going to have to restock my liquor cabinet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Season One's drinks are delightful. I can't wait for Season Two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonny Congrats for starting your blog. Lovely to read similar Winston Graham readers' experience:)Love Jane Austen and having seen the show and reading the books, feel very much like where had WinstonGAuthor been all me life!

    ReplyDelete